Thursday, March 28, 2013

Happy Easter 2013 - Basket

Easter cards and baskets are so much fun to make and this year, since it will be my sunshine's first Easter Egg hunt, I thought it best I make something a little cute.  This post will feature the basket and the next will feature the cards. 
Family Easter cards and Ben's Easter Basket.

The basket is made from four (4) Scallop Envelope BigZ 113462 to give me a square sizable box.  Simply stick the side flaps of each envelope to the next, until you have four (4) in a line.  You will need to use Sticky Strip 104294 to ensure the basket stays together.  Then make a box, with the flaps on the inside of the box and tape together the fourth side.  The bottom flaps can be folded in which ever way you like, however I am a symmetrical person so I folded in the opposites and used sticky strip to ensure the basket bottom would hold.

Want to have a closer look ....

The colours used include Baja Breeze card stock for the basket, Whisper White and Pink Pirouette for the rabbit.  Note the brad I used to hold the Seam Binding and handle to the basket.  Oh ooops, I just realised the handle is supposed to be on the inside of the box!
I sponged the edges of each envelope with Early Expresso to soften and define the edges of the basket and to add a bit of masculinity to the project.  I decorated the basket and handle which measures 10 inches x 1 inch with Crumb Cake Seam binding 122332 to break all of that blue.  I tied a bow on the front of the basket between the rabbit's feet and a knot on the handle (figured a bow would not last in my gorgeous son's hand).   The knot was also a method of  holding the seam binding to the handle with out sticking the delicate ribbon to the cardboard.

The Crumb Cake seam binding is crisscrossed over the length of the handle to add texture and break the blue
The rabbit/bunny is fiddly, some love punch art, some can leave it, others hate it.  I don't love it, but I have to admit, once I've made something I find it very rewarding - though this is very hard on arthritic hands and fingers.  Ben helped me make the "bunnies mummy bunnies".  He watched me and of course wanted to help "mine fingers work, I do it, I do it mummy" LOL, bless his gorgeous soul.
To make the rabbit you will need the following punches
                                                  119850     1 3/4 Circle punch
                                                  118074     Owl Builder punch
                                                  119855     Large Oval punch
                                                  120908     Small Oval punch
                                                  117193     Small Heart punch

Punch Art HINT and TIP  -  Use a paper piercer, tooth pick or similar to move smaller pieces into place and to dot glue onto smaller pieces.
  • I used the small oval punch for the cheeks, and drew on the whiskers and dots (what do you call those)
  • Owl punch's large circle for the nose, 
  • Owl punch circles for the eyes (drew the pupils on, putting those on was hard enough) 
  • Large Oval punch for the ears and cut the pink down to fit in the ear (how I miss that retired oval punch that fits inside ever so neatly!).  
  • The paws were made with the heart punch and medium circle from the Owl Builder punch
The feet/back paws were made from the Large Oval; the pads from the small oval and medium circle from the Owl Builder punch.  The greeting is from Every Bunny (W124968 / C122707) and stamped in Early Expresso which is also used to sponge the Modern Label 119849 punch out.
I very lightly sponged the rabbit with Pink Pirouette and Chocolate Chip.  I did this to soften and dirty up the edges of the sharp white punch-outs.

There is a bit of work in this little basket, I cannot wait to watch Ben fill it with his Lindt dark chocolate eggs...(the only chocolate he can have but in VERY small quantities) we will just have to monitor the consumption of said eggs LOL, I'm not up for several sleepless nights due to his indulgence!

Happy Easter to all of my precious friends and valued customers.  I hope you have a wonderful and safe break.

No comments:

Post a Comment